Random Acts of Kindness
International Credit Union Day: October 18th, 2018
The mission of International Credit Union Day (ICU Day) is to highlight and celebrate the qualities that make credit unions, like Nymeo, the best financial partners for life.
What is International Credit Union Day?
- International Credit Union Day is a day when credit unions all over the world celebrate the qualities that make credit unions unique and show appreciation for their members.
- Celebration started in 1948, and occurs every year on the third Thursday of October.
- 57,000 credit unions worldwide in 105 countries.
What makes a credit union different?
- Not-for-profit financial cooperatives.
- Offer the same services as other financial institutions, but we return all our profits to members. That’s why we have better rates and fewer fees.
- Owned by our members, not shareholders, so our money stays in the community.
What is a cooperative?
- A cooperative is an association of people who come together to meet a shared need.
- All co-ops are democratically controlled and share common principles, such as social responsibility and offering education to members. The 9 credit union principles come from the 7 cooperative principles that all co-ops follow.
- Credit unions are financial cooperatives, but there are all types of co-ops such as a grocery store or schools.
Nymeo’s 2018 Random Acts of Kindness: October 15th to 19th
In celebration of International Credit Union Day, Nymeo staff will randomly treat community members by conducting random acts throughout the entire week of ICU Day such as filling gas tanks, and paying it forward in other giving ways.
This is the fifth year of Nymeo's Random Acts of Kindness!